Tonight, October 29th, is the full moon. Not that anybody can see it with Frankenstorm descending upon the East Coast. Still, the October full moon is special this year because it occurs so close to Halloween. The moon is powerful three days before and three days after the date on which it reaches 100% fullness, meaning there will be tons of magical moon energy around on Halloween night.
Here are some correspondences for you to use during your rituals, parties and other All Hallow’s activities:
Name: The Blood Moon… also Falling Leaf Moon or Shedding Moon (depending on the culture)
Colors: Black, silver, dark purples and blues, orange, gold
Stones: black stones like obsidian and tourmaline (to banish negative energies while the veil is thin) and psychic power stones like amethyst, moonstone or quartz (to help your divinations or to contact the dead)
Foods/Herbs: traditional autumn foods like apples and pumpkins, herbs associated with psychic powers and protection (parsley, sage, rosemary. thyme… like the Simon and Garfunkel song… also lavender and basil)
Deities: Crone or witch goddesses like Hecate, Morgaine le Fay and Freya, also Hades, Persephone and other death-related deities. Spirits and deities associated with Day of the Dead celebrations. Perhaps Baron Samedi, depending on the culture and specific beliefs…
So, how will you incorporate these spooky moon correspondences into your Halloween?
- Go to sleep with amethyst under your pillow, see if you have psychic dreams or are contacted by an ancestor
- Smudge your house with sage to create a good atmosphere for your party
- If you plan to use ouija boards, runes, tarot or other divination devices, keep quartz nearby to heighten psychic energy
- Make pumpkin soup with rosemary and sage for protection, abundance and general deliciousness
- Use witch-related decorations (cauldrons, brooms, black cats, pointy hats) to honour Hecate
Have a hauntingly good evening!